Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Halfway There

With the mid-point of the workshop comes critical self-evaluation, more pressing concerns about time, and oftentimes a general sense of freaking out. Having good directions for our stories at this point, individual meeting with Jim have confirmed our achievements, the places where we need to improve, and what exactly we are missing in our visual narratives.

Having spent four consecutive days at Washington-Beech, I’ve spoken with residents and heard a variety of opinions regarding redevelopment. My meeting with a representative at the Boston Housing Authority was informative, but my difficulty breaking through the bureaucracy (and what I perceived as more than a touch of condescension) confirmed the frustration that many residents feel with “the system.” And speaking with the project’s Tenant Task Force demonstrated the assets of the community that may not be visible to the outside eye.

But thus far my lack of success in creating a real connection with someone has left me without a central character to focus on. While I have enough quotes and information to write a lengthy article, the gaping hole in my photographic essay increases my worry with only three days left. The human connection is what this story is about, but at this point I suppose I can only allow this to push me further.


A courtyard at Washington-Beech appears desolate despite the fact that residents have not yet been relocated from this section. In sharp contrast, the new designs feature townhouse units with individual entrances, private back yards, and a great deal of green space.


- Alison Coffey

No comments:

Post a Comment