Thursday, January 8, 2009

When You Can't Do Any Worse

My story is shifting in focus. I originally set out wanting to show the similarities and differences of the unemployment experiences of the wealthy and poor, but as I've researched and interviewed I've realized that there is a larger problem. When business executives are laid off they take middle management jobs, when office assistants are deemed nonessential they become waiters and waitresses, and when construction workers and other low-income citizens get fired they can find themselves begging on the streets. Every panhandler, beggar, or homeless person that I've spoken with this week has told me how hard it has gotten in the last few months to get by with donations from good Samaritans. Not only because of the universal economic strain felt by all resulting in less of an ability to give, but also because of an increasing large population on the streets.

My project is centered on Vinnie Panico, a retired volunteer social worker who offers his time to the homeless free of charge but still has to stand in line at food banks and stay up to date with free meals at shelters to get by. He is a truly inspiring figure. After spending his life working at the Massachusetts State House he went down Park St. to Saint Paul's Episcopalian Church to give his time to the needy, even though he's never had much to give. He told me his story when I spent the day with him, and also took me to the Paulist Center/food bank and showed me where he used to work.


Vinnie Panico, a volunteer social worker, stands outside of the Paulist Center Food Bank, feet from the Massachusetts State House where he worked all his life.  Panico lives retirement check to retirement check but still gives himself to helping those who are less fortunate than him.

Maria asks for money in Harvard Square early on the morning of January 8th.  She
receives unemployment insurance from the government but relies on panhandling to buy luxury items like cups of coffee.  

-Aalok Kanani

No comments:

Post a Comment