Saturday, January 10, 2009

Workshop in Review

For me this workshop hasn't been about making my best work or greatly advancing my photo skills, but about learning to be a journalist.  Sure I've technically done photojournalism before with the Daily, and I've tried to imitate photojournalism during other photography projects or trips, but during this week I've learned about the persistence needed to be a good photojournalist.  The documentary art is as much about the story as it is the photos, and pushing till you get the story is essential.  Hunting down leads, calling people five or six times a day, and relentlessly going agency to agency, office to office all taught me what it takes to be a photojournalist besides beautiful photos, and often even how to get those beautiful themselves. 
This week has been a wonderful learning experience for me in that regard and has given me a new perspective of photojournalism.  This week has had its ups and its downs (an entire day without getting a photo, etc...), but it's been a blast along the way.

-Aalok Kanani

No comments:

Post a Comment